Traditional “Buñuelos” with piloncillo sauce
Recipe Courtesy of: Four Seasons Resort Punta Mita, Mexico
Yield: 30 pieces
- 2 1/4 cup: Flour
- 1/2 cup: Heavy cream
- 3: Fresh eggs
- 1 Tablespoon: Rum or brandy
- 2 pieces: Lemon zest
- In an electric mixer, add all ingredients and mix well until you get a smooth and elastic dough.
- Divide the dough in 1oz small portions; let it rest for 20 minutes before using.
- Roll each dough portion until it is very thin, trying to keep a round shape.
- In a deep pot add corn oil and fill halfway, heat oil at 340°F.
- Dip the buñuelos into the oil and fry on both sides until they get a golden color.
- Sprinkle the buñuelos with powdered sugar.
- 1 cone (500g) Piloncillo (hard cone shape of unrefined brown sugar)
- 150 ml: Water
- 2 pieces: Cinnamon stick
- Put all ingredients for the sauce in a pot. Heat up and let it reduce until you get a caramel consistency.
- Serve the buñuelos on a plate covered with piloncillo sauce.